Vintage Toyota Corona's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

Texas  wagon  Rt43  18rc  

Latest topics
» 1973 T89 wagon Coolant Pipe 18r-c engine. Where to find a replacement?
Weber side drafts questions EmptySun Dec 16, 2018 11:08 am by coleslaw

» ***F/S RT104 O.E. Clutch Pedal Assembly Manual Trans. Swap RT104 ***
Weber side drafts questions EmptyThu Apr 19, 2018 12:56 pm by whit

» RT8# Clutch / Brake Pedal Assembly
Weber side drafts questions EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 12:28 am by osgonRT85

» New corona owner from kauai, Hawaii!
Weber side drafts questions EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 5:44 am by Axelmon78

» NEW (original TOYOTA) parts for CORONA
Weber side drafts questions EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 1:32 am by mark_II_hardtop

» Need help deciding
Weber side drafts questions EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 11:21 pm by Cthree

» 1970 Mark 2 Corona Hardtop Resurrection
Weber side drafts questions EmptySun Sep 17, 2017 11:02 am by andrewe

» 20r overheating, help!!!!!
Weber side drafts questions EmptyThu Aug 24, 2017 5:06 am by corona extra

» 72 mk2 mx22 2dr from Cali
Weber side drafts questions EmptyThu Aug 17, 2017 9:52 pm by RT85CORONA

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Weber side drafts questions

3 posters

Go down

Weber side drafts questions Empty Weber side drafts questions

Post by Peter_TEQ Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 am

Hello gentlemen! I haven't been able to get on here in a while, but now that my classes are nearly done I'd like to start pouring time into my corona.
I plan on swapping my 3 speed auto trans for a w55 very soon. However, after that I'd like to possibly get some weber DCOEs. That being said, perhaps it's just the newbie mechanic in me wanting something flashy and expensive. However, I wouldn't dare put the side drafts in until I have maximized the rest of the engine for the webers.
So my first question is, does anyone know the mods I'd need to get the most out of the side drafts? I'm assuming exhaust, cam, larger valves, a port job. But what kind of cam? And what kind of valves? And how large do I go?
Bottom end wise, I'm kinda lost. So any info would be appreciated.
My last question is if anyone has had a weber DCOE set up with the necessary mods? And do you feel it's worth it?
Thanks, cheers!
Peter_TEQ
Peter_TEQ

Back to top Go down

Weber side drafts questions Empty Re: Weber side drafts questions

Post by a2ndopinion Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 pm

I'd be building a 2xR hybrid - '81-'84 22R bottom end w/ 20R head. Port, polish and oversize stainless valves, aluminum rockers and cam. As for cam size, that depends on what you are looking for, and what you are willing to lose. A Crane (TRD) stage 3 is great, but costs a bit of bottom end. It is almost identical power wise to the Comp 280, both "streetable" but on the large size. I was able to pull better than 25 MPG with it on the highway, but it SUCKED fuel in town. I'd managed better than 28 MPG with the stock 22R and with the 2xR hybrid and a Crane stage 2.
I've had two sets of side drafts, and never got either set installed, as it's not a simple bolt on. Linkage issues, clearance, fuel pump... all need to be addressed. People that I've talked to that have run them are what finally led me to selling the last set. They say fuel mileage drops and power increase is minimal - the biggest gain is throttle response, but the fuel mileage loss wasn't worth it. Again, this is what I've been told by other people.
I'm running a Cannon downdraft intake and a Weber 32/36 DGxV, and am very happy with it, along with a Thorley tri-Y header, magnaflow cat, 2.25" mandrel bent exhaust, Dynomax Bullet muffler mid-pipe and a Borla at the end.

You're in Pdx and know where my shop is, so if you need help, let me know! I do porting work, and use the best machinist in Pdx for the stuff I can't do. I also have a friend with a muffler shop in The 'Couv that does great work for cheap. Come on by for a ride - or let's go for a cruise in the hills!
a2ndopinion
a2ndopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter_TEQ Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info, kind sir!
I think I might just go with a 2xr hybrid with the carb I have. Maybe some high comp pistons with larger valves, porting and cam. I don't need overly thursty monsters for my Dailey driver! Haha
Got any of what I'd need to do the tranny swap?
Besides making a hole for the shifter. Would I need a new drivetrain? And what kind of flywheel would I need?
Thanks!
Peter_TEQ
Peter_TEQ

Back to top Go down

Post by a2ndopinion Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:55 am

I have a 3rd gen Celica parts car with EVERYTHING you'd need for a W58 swap.
No need for high comp pistons, as milling the head maybe .020" will give you plenty. Just OS SS (oversize stainless steel) valves and a good porting job, then pick a cam. The Crane stage 2 is a nice improvement for a DD.
a2ndopinion
a2ndopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by 81 corona 4dr Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:37 am

Never had duals on anything other then a 2tc/3tc but I probably had over 20 sets since my first pair in 1981. If you dont know someone who knows how to tune them then you will probably be miserable. They are a pain to tune and jets are not cheap. I have over $500 dollars in jets, emulsion tubes and chokes and it doesnt look like much.
That being said, I love them. Better gas mileage (if you drive normally) and better performance (if you have a heavy foot). At one point, I had 4 daily drivers all with duals, weber and dellorto.
Weber is my favorite but they are the least forgiving and thats why I like them. Jet changes will let you know right away if it got better or worse. Mikuni is the most forgiving and thats why I hate them. After a jet change, sometimes I cant tell if it got better or not. Besides the parts are the most expensive. There are lots of guys who love them and they go fast but if I pick up a car with mikunis, I sell them. I wont even bother. I can always get dellortos or webers to pull harder.

My current 3tc with duals.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Old pic of my 4 daily drivers all with duals.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

81 corona 4dr

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter_TEQ Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:52 am

Thanks for all the really helpful info, guys!
So I've heard that these headers will fit an '80 corona:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Does anyone know if this is true?
Peter_TEQ
Peter_TEQ

Back to top Go down

Post by a2ndopinion Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Yes it will. I have a Thorley tri-Y from a '79 Celica in mine. And that's a killer price! Before you put it in, you need to have some work done to it though - cut off the A.I.R. pump connection and have it welded shut, and if it has the O2 pipe at the collector, have it cut off and a bung with a cap welded into the same spot. Take it to Ira's Muffler at:
12209 NE Fourth Plain
Vancouver, WA 98682
(360) 256-0500
Tell Rob I sent ya, he'll give you a great deal. He can also weld the collector to the existing or build you a new exhaust too. I've known him for about 12 years, and now that he bought this shop, he's my go-to guy for all exhaust work. He welded in my new cat, my Dynaflow Bullet, and two new support brackets for less than any other shop would have done half the work. My exhaust is so quiet at idle and cruise, you'd never guess it is as high performance as it is, but still sounds nice at full throttle.
a2ndopinion
a2ndopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by a2ndopinion Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm

If you're wanting porting work done to a 20R head, I'll volunteer my services (for a fee), and have the perfect machinist (he knows his Toyotas VERY well) for the final valve job w/ oversize valves, bronze guides and milling.
a2ndopinion
a2ndopinion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down